Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helping Rescues with Homechecking, Fostering, Transport, Fundraising and more!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WE HAVE MOVED!

The new forum address is http://forum.animallifelineuk.org Please ensure you update your bookmarks. Smile

All registrations have been automatically transferred and automated login details have been e-mailed to each

member.

If you have any problems accessing the new site please contact us at info@animallifelineuk.org

Thank you! x

I've been an idiot!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
hflower

hflower

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi I'm new and i'm an idiot!

Well i have always been against letting animals have litters when there are so many unwanted pets out there already.
Also if you have not got the time, funds and dedication, dont get a pet.

Im a single mum and when my daughter turn 5 i thought the time was right to home a unwanted pet so got a cat from the cats protection, a male who i had neutered, all good. Then i started to think about getting a play mate because he seemed to need that, so one day i was on the free to collector part of the gumtree (not looking for a cat!) where someone had offered a male kitten so i sent a text to which i got a very prompt phone call and he arranged to drop off very quickly so it kind of snowballed, anyway it turned out the poor little mite had the worst case of worms ever!! They were crawling out her bum, notice i say her well it turned out he was a she!
Anyway got her sorted, wormed, deflea'd, booked in for her injections and stuff all fine but kept putting off ringing to get an appointment to get her spayed Sad
It seemed so much more of a big op than the male equivalent and she loved going out so much and was so active that i wasn't sure she'd handle the recuperation very well as my friends cat got very depressed by it all. Thought i'd wait until she calmed down abit with age and i rang up in March and was told i would be added to the waiting list and i should get a phone call to arrange an appontment in May!

Well the end of last week i notice a cat hanging around our garden alot, it was friendly with both my cats but then another cat turned up and started hanging around, didnt notice any change in my cats behaviour until i saw her and the black cat from my bedroom window in a nieghbours garden doing you know what!! So these 2 tom cats have been camped out on my back door step by the cat flap for days not going anywhere, well only the end of the garden when i have thrown water at them ( not got even a splash on either of them!) There owners must of been wondering where the hell they were!

Anyway i have rambled on and its not made any difference to the fact that i have been an idiot!! And feel sick to the pit of my stomach that i have let this happen.
I dont know what to do for the best now. I dont know whether to just wait to she if she is pregnant, would it be so bad to let her have one litter and do my best to rehome them? People around me say sell them but i'd couldnt do that, make money out of her but then maybe i could donate the money to a cat charity? I already feel so guilty that i feel like i should go and donate hundreds of pounds to charity! Not that i think that would make me feel any better about myself!
Should i try and book her in somewhere to get her spayed straight away? Would that be like an abortion? I'm very confused.

Please feel free to advice or berate me, i deserve it!!
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin
JennyC

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Firstly :welcome: to the forum.

We'd never berate you that's not what we're here for. We may agree with you being silly for not getting her spayed earlier but that's all you'd get and you'd get it with loads of help and advice.

Right - I think you'd best go and ask a vet to check if she's pregnant. If she is then spaying her is like an abortion (I think - wait for someone more knowledgable to tell you for definate first)

If she's not pregnant get her spayed ASAP as those toms won't leave till it's done. How old s she?
If she is pregnant and you want the pregnancy to proceed then we will help you to find new homes for her young uns.

I'll let someone else come answer as well now so that you don't just get my opinion but I'd get her to vets soon as you can.
Back to top Go down
kelly-joy
Admin
Admin
kelly-joy

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:46 am

Hello :welcome: to the forum.
I am sorry you are learning the hard way from not spaying your cat at the right age. I would take her to the vet as Jenny says and get her spade. I suppose you could call it an abortion if she is pregnant but inside hardly anything would have happened in such a short time.I don't want to scare you but if your cat is still quite young and on the small side then she may have more troubles giving birth and need a c section which will be alot more stressful to her than being spade now.Also she may be to ill after her C section to look after her own babies and are you prepared to hand feed tiny kittens? its not easy and you will have to prepare yourself for the fact that they may not make it without their mother.Take her to the vet and be guided on what he says if she can't be spade as by chance she is already to far along then I am sure we will be able to find homes for them and be here should you have any problems along the way.
Back to top Go down
Truman

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 9:05 am

Hi, I agree with Kelly-Joy. First confirm whether she is or is not pregnant. If she isn't get her spayed ASAP. If she is I would ask the vets advice about aborting at this point. I feel the decision is about how it would affect your cat healthwise. If he says it wont harm her then I would abort. It sounds hard but as Kelly-Joy says it is very early stages of pregnancy so not much there. The last thing we want is more unwanted kittens while cats in shelters are dying. Dont beat yourself up over letting this happen, look to the future.
Back to top Go down
tinamary

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:25 am

I agree with the others, take her to be spayed.
You can be sure if there were more than one cat hanging around she will be pregnant. We have far toooooooo many kittens and puppies in this world that need homes now.
You should not feel bad im sure we have all made mistakes. I know i have.
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin
JennyC

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 1:29 pm

How are you today?
Back to top Go down
hflower

hflower

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi
Sorry for not replying sooner. With it being school hols and having plans for my daughter to do i have not phoned the vet. She is with her dad tonight and tomorrow so thought i'd ring vet tomorrow and then i remembered it was bank holiday! So dont think they will be open, i am with the PSDA.

To be honest with you i am battling with what my heart says and what my head says. I know what i should do but i dont think i can, i feel sick and guilty.

It would be best for me if she didnt have kittens as i would have to right off any chance of going away for a week this summer, which i feel bad about as my daughter didnt get a holiday last year.
But my daughter would love her to have kittens if she is pregnant and that would be a great experience for her to witness.

Honestly im not a very pro-active to person i generally just sit back and worry about what to do and then its happened so i didnt really have to make to decision, im a typical librian, i spend all my time weighing up the pros and cons and find it impossible to make a decision.

I know what you all want me to do and i understand the reasons and you are all more aware than i am about the problem of unwanted cats and kittens.

I think i will take her to the vets and see whether he/she thinks it would be safe for her to carry the kittens (if shes pregnant) Its just so difficult with it being school holidays i dont want my daughter to be there. IF i can even get an appointment for next week.
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin
JennyC

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Well, You've had our advice and it is totally up to you. Speak to the vet and see what he says. Either way come back and let us know. Smile
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin
JennyC

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 2:29 pm

Have you sorted her out? Is she pregnant?
Back to top Go down
hflower

hflower

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:36 pm

No not yet, its been a bank holiday weekend.

Would they even be able to tell yet? My friend did suggest getting a human pregnancy test but i dont think she'd thought though how i'd get her to pee on the stick!!

As soon as i know anything i will update Smile
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin
JennyC

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Human test wouldn't work.

Will keep Crossed that she isn't
Back to top Go down
hflower

hflower

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 4:23 am

I rang the Psda vet this morning and they said there is nothing they can do and to just wait and see.
I asked whether they could check to see if she would be big enough to be able to safely have kittens but they said i'd have to book into a private vet for that.
She is 10 months old and a slender cat.
I was planing on having her chipped when she was spayed but have booked her in to have that done on tues next week.
Back to top Go down
kelly-joy
Admin
Admin
kelly-joy

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:34 am

What stupid advise BangWall No wonder rescues are bursting with un wanted cats/kittens if thats the advise that people get BangWall I don't suppose there is much you can do then. I would ask them again when you go to have her chipped I am sure if you ask the vet they will have a feel to see if they can feel any.good luck
Back to top Go down
hflower

hflower

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 am

Thats what i was planning to do, ask questions while there getting her chipped.

Do you think she will be chipped by the nurse or vet?
Back to top Go down
kelly-joy
Admin
Admin
kelly-joy

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:58 am

Not sure all mine have been done by a vet though
Back to top Go down
v.mosedale

v.mosedale

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 3:03 pm

when i suspected my cat was pregnant. I rang my vet and they booked her in to be spayed any way, and said they would havea feel and listen to try and find out before hand. If she was they would cancel the op (luckly she wasn't and she was done straight away)

I would ring and speak to nurse/vet before next week as they should be very helpful with advice on what's best. If she is pregnant though please remember to keep her in once she's had the kittens until you get her spayed or you'll be having kittens straight away again which isn't safe for mum so soon after one lot (a friend of mine found this out the hard way and nearly lost her kitty beacuse she feel pregnant too soon after first lot and was only a small/young cat herself)
Back to top Go down
redditchlady

redditchlady

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 1:32 am

Any news?? It does sound awful, but if you can catch in earlyish stages to be neutered and take away, then puss goes through less trauma and stress. Hug

I am not going to preach to you, but think about it, what if she needs a caesarian? That is £300 plus. Even if she is insured, most insurance policies do not cover pregnancies etc!

Personally I would neuter her now and not leave anything to chance.

Please let us know how things are.

Kazz x
Back to top Go down
hflower

hflower

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 pm

Went to the pdsa vet today to have her chipped and to ask if they could tell if she was pregnant yet and whether they thought she was able to safely give birth.

The vet couldnt tell as i thinks she is only about 2 and half weeks if pregnant, said she was healthy and well covered (she looks skinny to me!!) so should be able to carry kittens safely.

She did offer to try and bump her up the list to be spayed in a couple of weeks and said if she was carrying kittens taking them away wouldnt cause her any problems and that was up to me as it was a moral choice!! To be honest with you i couldnt do that Sad

So am just going to wait and see, sorry i know that wont be a popular choice.
Back to top Go down
Jo

Jo

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 am

Any news? Did your girl turn out to be pregnant in the end?
Back to top Go down
hflower

hflower

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Yes

And at 7.10pm tonight gave birth to Kitten1 then at 7.41pm had Kitten2.
All 3 are sleeping, soo sweet.
If all stays the same we will be a 4 cat household :0)
Such an experience and my 6 year old dd watched it all too.
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin
JennyC

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 4:00 pm

CONGRATS MUMMY CAT.

Make sure you get all 4 neutered won't you? Smile
Back to top Go down
hflower

hflower

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Did i neglect to mention I AM NEVER GOING THROUGH THAT AGAIN!!
The stress was unbelievable, i was less stressed when i was expecting my dd.

Mummy and both kittens will be neutered asap.
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin
JennyC

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 4:25 pm

Well done......

Hope Mummy and kittens settle well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I've been an idiot! Vide
PostSubject: Re: I've been an idiot!   I've been an idiot! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I've been an idiot!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Members Area :: Animal Chat -