Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Helping Rescues with Homechecking, Fostering, Transport, Fundraising and more!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WE HAVE MOVED!

The new forum address is http://forum.animallifelineuk.org Please ensure you update your bookmarks. Smile

All registrations have been automatically transferred and automated login details have been e-mailed to each

member.

If you have any problems accessing the new site please contact us at info@animallifelineuk.org

Thank you! x

recall nightmare

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
marypoppins

marypoppins

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 12:32 pm

i've just got back from a nightmare walk with zeus. let him off lead as i always do on a secure field, and he's just ran off through the gate after a car. he's never shown any interest in chasing cars before. birds and sqirrels yes, but never cars. lucky enough i have trained him to sit as soon as he gets to the kirb otherwise i think he would have carried on going. a good job it's a really quiet road to. so this week i'm going to enrole him in some training classes and see about getting him snipped. his recalls usually really good, i'm thinking it maybe down to his age. he's 1 in a week.
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin
JennyC

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 am

Its a good job he has some good training behind him then..... lucky dog.
Back to top Go down
GSD Lifeline

GSD Lifeline

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 11:24 am

Hiya

Neutering will always be a good idea especially as he is now 1 yr old. It will ensure he is less interested in any female dogs that could be in season in your area (hence he might run off to "find them")

Have a look here at a trainers methods on recall training:

https://animallifeline.forumotion.net/training-and-behaviour-f6/recall-long-line-technique-t923.htm

GOod luck Thumb
Back to top Go down
marypoppins

marypoppins

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 5:30 pm

he will be getting booked in, to get neutered in the next couple of weeks. i don't think he would be happy having to be kept on the lead all the time. and i don't want to take the risk of him running off again. i'm also looking at flyball training classes in the area since i think he would really benifit from that also. and thank you chris i will have a go at the long line technique this week.
Back to top Go down
GSD Lifeline

GSD Lifeline

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Let us know how it goes Smile
Back to top Go down
marypoppins

marypoppins

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 5:31 pm

will do.
Back to top Go down
vickylizzy
Admin
Admin
vickylizzy

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Crossed it all goes well. Smile
Back to top Go down
maur108
Rescue Rep
Rescue Rep

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 4:18 pm

When we first got Axel his recall was VERY bad D'oh! Karen told us about this method of training and it worked brilliantly for us. In the main Axels recall is really good now but as he is a traffic chaser we still walk with a trailing line in some area's. Good luck Thumb
Back to top Go down
marypoppins

marypoppins

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 4:33 pm

thanx everyone. just lets hope his on his best behavior tomorrow at delamere forest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

recall nightmare Vide
PostSubject: Re: recall nightmare   recall nightmare Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

recall nightmare

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Members Area :: Animal Health, Training & Behaviour :: Training and Behaviour -