Helping Rescues with Homechecking, Fostering, Transport, Fundraising and more!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
WE HAVE MOVED!

The new forum address is http://forum.animallifelineuk.org Please ensure you update your bookmarks. Smile

All registrations have been automatically transferred and automated login details have been e-mailed to each

member.

If you have any problems accessing the new site please contact us at info@animallifelineuk.org

Thank you! x

Sokels Past Weeks Rescues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Beckyp

PostSubject: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:48 am

We thought you'd all like to hear about our past few days (Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday) and our 3 seperate rescues

Tuesdays Rescue
Helen recieved a call from a lady who needed to give up a 'colony' of 12 pigs, At he start it was 3 boars and 9 sows. I went with her and met he husband, he got out of the car and opened his car boot to find a pig had escaped and was sat on top of the boxes, he said thats a boar its out of that box.....so back in that box this 'boar' went on its own. In total we were given 2 cardboard boxes and 2 plastic boxes, they type you can store under a bed.
We drove back to mine to sort them out and re-box to find the 'boar' was infact a pregnant sow, one plastic box had 2 apparently sows which actually was 1 boar 1 sow! the other plastic box had a very heavy pregnant sow.

As for the cardboard boxes one had a beautiful himi sow, very young herself with 2 sow babies and a 5 week old peru sow. We opened the last box to find 3 boars but one had collapsed from the heat, probably from being in a car boot and our weather up here Tuesday was very hot!
Helen battled with him but he died in her arms another boar was looking iffy but he has pulled through.

So this rescue infact ended up being 7 sows and 4 boars = 11-1 = 10 (she kept 2 in the end)

Wednesdays Rescue

We recieved a call from the RSPCA asking if we could help with a seizure of 69 pigs from the North East which had been left to fend for themselves in an allotment along with 60 rabbits which someone else took.

11am Wed they turned up, there were me and my friend Helen . So carrier after carrier was brought into her poor house and the sort out started.
I have never smelled anything so bad as these poor pigs.
In the end we ended up with 50 pigs (not 69) and only 8-9 were adult boars which one fosterer very kindly took to someone near her.
The rest were a mixture of tiny babies to heavily pregnant sows. We found the lactating sows and they were placed with all the babies. Boars who were old/big enough to not need mum were removed and there were 5 beauties

Some of these pigs had very small ears, some were chewed. Some have hairless stomachs. There was a few really skinny but pregnant sows, and 1 very skinny Abyssinian. There were a mixture of pure Abyssinians, crested, pure blacks but the majority are Tri's.

Unfortunatly we lost a sow, who just didn't look right since she got there, head was twitching and back legs splayed with an open pelvis so we monitored her, She ended up fitting so was rushed to the vets who performed an C section but the 6 babies were hairless and big so she was trying to abort obviously. Poor girl came bacck but not long after passed away. The whole experience was just too much but we did give her the best chances. RIP little Sow.

So now the work continues, we did start bathing yesterday and Ivermecting but some will take a while to pull round.

so now we had 61 pigs.

Fridays Rescue

We recieved another phone call on Friday from a lady wanting to give up 8 sows saying if we dont take them she will have them PTS!
Helen met her in Carlisle and picked up 8 sows 4 boars!!

so now our totals are 73 Guinea Pigs in 1 week!!!!!

None of the rescues we easy ones and most of the pigs are in a right state and nearly everything is being treated for mites and lice... there is more info on our website along with pictures I'm slowly managing to get on
Smile
Back to top Go down
vickylizzy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 am

What a tough week you (and the piggies) have had! faint

Tissues RIP little ones. Rose

If there's anything we can do to help please do let us know. Group Hug
Back to top Go down
Tessa (klewagin)

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:11 am

OMG! what a week you have had Cry2 RIP little ones

Keep up the good work Good On You
Back to top Go down
Beckyp

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks guys Smile

Loads of people are being very generous in donating stuff they dont use, i.e water bottles, medication and even cash donations, its amazing. Some of them that are rehomable are up for adoption after much needed baths, nails clipped and Ivermectin.

If anyone is interested in any of the pigs please dont hesitate in contacting us Smile
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:27 pm

Becky - I did have a HUGE rabbit water bottle ready to go to the skip but I dont actually think i've gotten around to it yet. If I can find it can you clean it and use it? Its been out of use for about 18 months and looks abit green?

EMERGENCY FOSTER SPACE AVAILABLE AGAIN
Back to top Go down
Beckyp

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:37 pm

JennyC wrote:
Becky - I did have a HUGE rabbit water bottle ready to go to the skip but I dont actually think i've gotten around to it yet. If I can find it can you clean it and use it? Its been out of use for about 18 months and looks abit green?

Jenny anything is very welcome and we'll get it clean
Thank you very very much. I'll pm you my address. Smile

Laughing
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Very Happy As long as its still in my backyard (i'll look tomorrow for you) I'll post it out on Monday.

Back to top Go down
Beckyp

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:26 am

Just a quick update, I've managed to get loads on our website and some have even been reserved Smile
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:35 am

BRILLIANT

Back to top Go down
Kyespet

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:45 am

I'm loving Skunk and Beaver! Just debating if I can re-arrange the garage.. have a double hutch outside, that if it could fit, would prob hold 2 pairs.. it's not really water proof enough for proper outside use, but my current 2 live in garage all year anyway (cept for trips out on run on grass when weather's good and i'm around - too many cats to leave alone, even though cage is cat and dog proof!)

Don't suppose you'd consider homing to Rotherham?
Back to top Go down
kelly-joy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:09 am

Tissues Tissues Tissues Tissues poor piggys

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:52 am

GRRR!! sadly, it won't fit.. so no more piggys for me for the time being.. need a bigger house!
Back to top Go down
Weebeastie

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:47 am

My friend (who also want the 2 chickens) is looking for some rescue piggies. I'll check how many she wants......may be a bit too far away though but my mum is in the scottish borders so could tie it in with a trip back home.

Will check with my friend.
Back to top Go down
JennyC
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:51 pm

I have good news and bad news.

Good news I've found the water bottle and its a 1.1L

Bad news I haven't had chance to send it today Sad I'm really sorry but I've been out all day. I will put it in post tomorrow for you.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sokels Past Weeks Rescues   

Back to top Go down

Sokels Past Weeks Rescues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Rehoming :: Small Furries -